Welcome to First Grade!
Welcome to 1st grade at St. Barbara! This year we will be learning so many new and wonderful things! Here you will find information about our classroom, what we are learning each month, and important St. Barbara information.
Here is what we are learning in December:
We are learning our math curriculum through the University of Chicago's Everyday Math program. Everyday Math provides our students with meaningful math activities that are also engaging and playful. This month in Unit 4 we have been introduced to measuring lengths and working on addition-fact fluency.
The concepts are:
- 4-9 More Combinations of 10
- 4-10 Adding Three Numbers
- 4-11 10 More, 10 Less
- 4-12 Unit 4 Progress Check
We will then be introduced to Unit 5-Place Value and Comparisons. In this unit, students investigate place-value concepts for tens and ones. They use place value to compare and add two digit numbers. The concepts will be:
- 5-1 Introducing Place Value
- 5-2 Digits and Place Value
- 5-3 Place-Value Application: Pennies and Dimes
- 5-4 Greater Than, Less Than, and Equal To
- 5-5 The Equal Sign
Our math homework will consist of a Home Link worksheet that you will do with your child to practice various skills in your home environment. Please complete the Home Link worksheet with your child each night. Also, students should practice their addition and subtraction facts nightly.
READING and WRITING:
We are now using the third level of the Superkids: Adventures of the Superkids! We will make great strides as readers as we accompany the Superkids on many new adventures. We will learn how to read more complex words and longer stories. We will learn new phonemes, structural analysis skills, and Memory Words. We will practice the skills of making predictions using illustrations, visualizing, using context clues, summarizing and sequencing. We will identify story elements of character, setting, and plot. We will read together in small guided reading groups, read leveled readers with partners and practice our reading skills individually. During these 'Centers', we are also able to exomplore subject areas that we are learning about in science or social studies, practice our phonics, and enjoy math games with dice or grpahing. Our parents will help us practice by blending in our SuperKids Big Book, singing with the SuperKids cds, writing them on our dry erase boards, and with letter cards.
We are completing Unit 6 in "Adventures of the Superkids", and the students have really enjoyed reading the Superkids stories. In this unit students have learned to identify and mark short and long vowels and decode words with long vowel patterns (CV). They are learning to spell the memory words-said, only, you, out, of, here and (CV) pattern words. Our test on these words will be on Dec. 5th.
We will then move on to Unit 7. In this unit, students will associate long-vowel sounds with CVCe pattern. They will learn to read and spell the memory words-oh, any, day,good, very, want and CVCe pattern words . Our test on these words will be on Dec.14th. In this unit, students will recognize plot: beginning, middle and end and recognize descriptive language.
We will begin Chapter 4 in our science books "Life Cycles. The students will be introduced to the vocabulary words-life cycle,larva, pupa,seed coat and seedling.
The lessons will be:
- How does a frog grow?
- How does a butterfly grow?
- How do animals grow and change?
- How does a daisy grow?
- How do trees grow?
- How do plants grow and change?
- Chapter 4 Review
- Chapter 4 Test
We will then move on to Chapter 4 "Life Cycles". Students will discover how animals and plant change as they grow. They will be introduced to the vocabulary words-life cycle, larva, pupa, seed coat and seedling. The lessons will be:
The unit that we are focusing on is "Winter". Students will learn about the weather in winter and what a blizzard is. Also, the importance of dressing warm in cold tempertures. They will learnabout how animals hibernate in the winter and winter holidays.
During the month of December we will focus on the church seasons of Advent and Christmas. In chapter 13-Advent. the children will learn that Advent is the season in which we get ready to celebrate Jesus Christ's birth at Christmas. They will learn about the Advent wreathe, what it symbolizes and how it is used at Mass. In Chapter 14-Christmas, the children will learn that at Christmas the Church celebrates the birth of Jesus.
Together we will sing, pray, act out bible stories and ways to show God's love, and share ideas in discussion. The first graders will show their love of God with their great behavior at Friday Mass.
- Brown envelopes will be sent home every Monday and need to be sent back to school on Tuesday mornings signed. If envelopes have to be sent home during the week for any reason, please send them back to school the next day.
- Send any important papers, notes, etc. that you have during the week with your child in the morning to turn in to me.
- If you are sending any money to school or a check, please place in an envelope labeled with your child's name and the purpose of the money.
- Any money that you are able to donate to the Catholic Missions is greatly appreciated.
- Please send a note to the office if anyone besides you will be picking your child up from school.
- Homework folders go home every night and are due back every day. Remember, neatness counts on homework. Please have your child write his first and last name on all homework. Any pictures on homework must be colored in using 2-4 colors that make sense.
- Please be mindful of the Saint Barbara rquirements for your child's hairstyle and clothing/uniform listed in the handbook. It is a great time to practice tying shoes and tucking in our shirts at home.
- We are scheduled to have gym class every Monday and Wednesday, so please send your child to school in his/her uniform.
- We have library every Tuesday, so please send your child to school with his/her library book. New library books may not be checked out until last week's book has been returned.
DECEMBER IMPORTANT DATES:
- Dec. 3rd: 2nd Quarter Progress Reports
- Dec. 4th: Santa Shop
- Dec. 9th: Kdg. and First Grade Mass
- Dec. 10th: Kdg., First and Third Grade Field Trip-The Ugly Duckling
- Dec. 14th: Christmas Concert and Ladies'Guild Christmas Dinner
- Dec. 18th: School Christmas Assembly-11:30 Dismissal
- Dec. 25th: Wishing you and your families a "MERRY CHRISTMAS"
- Dec. 31st: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!